Saturday, December 20, 2008

Tools for Great Deals

One of the best tools you have for getting a great deal is your voice.

It sounds strange, but talking to someone about the price you think you should have, and sticking to it or even telling them you'd love to buy the item, just not at that price is how many people get great deals.

Several years ago at Best Buy I bought a lemon computer. For years it plagued me, and when I could finally scrap it out, the people who were working there refused to give me the computer I wanted that ran about 500 dollars less than I had originally paid for the lemon.

I originally had been told by management that I could exchange it for any computer up to the purchase price of the lemon, but when at the store I had to stick to my guns and deal with an hour long conversation of, "I want this, I won't take anything less, I was promised this, " because they decided they could only give me an outdated, exact copy of my computer... that's worth was about 700 dollars.

Well, being me, I didn't want anything like the original. So I stuck to my guns and patiently let them run around while I examined my new computer. In the end I was offered the computer I wanted just to get me out of their hair, AND I was given a copy of windows vista home in case I wanted to switch from the vista that came with the computer.

Now there's a difference between irrational screaming and demanding and patiently stating your case, sticking to your guns and waiting. Practicing the second will get you great prices, practicing the first may land you in jail.

Good luck with the great deals!

No comments: